Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Wii 2 (Wii U)

I'm loving E3 2011 at the moment. I spent half an hour yesterday looking through trailers for new games that have been announced. I'm rather excited by Star Wars the Old Republic and Prototype 2... and potentially Resistance 3 but then Resistance 2 was god awful.The game I'm most excited about, and yet so unsure about, is Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock 1 and 2 were stunning; and I expect this will be great. My only reservation is will the move away from the underwater Rapture towards a sky setting work? I'm also pretty excited by Aliens Colonial marines... but I've been waiting for this game for so long, and was so disapointed by the last Aliens Vs Predator game, that I'll wait to see what it's like when it arrives.

Perhaps one of the most exciting is Wii U... which sounds as far from the Wii as possible (read more about the Wii U on the BBC). A good move for Nintendo or not? It sounds like they've ditched the wavey wavey hand controller for something a bit more traditional, i.e. a controller with heaps of new features, camera, screen... etc (some of the things I suggested before would be great to have in the next gen controllers... am I a tech guru; or just one of many many hopful gamers who dream mad things? I think the latter, and it sounds like Nintendo have been listening. Hoorah!). Nintendo are trying to bring back the core gamers... but does this mean the Wii U won't cater for the new market of family and casual games they've created? Are they ditching this market following recent competition from XBox Kinect and PS3 Move?

I'll be keeping an ear out to see what Microsoft and Sony plan to do... will the PS4 or next XBox be announced soon?

No comments: