Saturday, August 21, 2010

Feeling manly

Isn't it great when we get our hands dirty. Like today I swapped my break pads over. I flipped my bike over, unscrewed the breaks, screwed the new ones, fiddled with the cables, covered my hands in grease and then took it out for a test ride. Ok, it wasn't like I completed a major piece of carpentry or plumbing but I still felt "manly".

Why is it that doing something physical with our hands (no jokes) makes us feel manly? I sit in front of a computer all day doing things far more complicated than swapping some break pads over but no one would consider that manly. If I was to spend all day producing www.killexplosionguns.com I still doubt anyone would say, "wow, hasn't he been busy doing manly things"... they'd be thinking "what a geek"!

Now while "stuff with computers" is no longer as geeky as it was, and people realise that just because you work in the production of software it doesn't mean you're there writing code in 0's and 1's anymore there is still a perception that it's just not that butch. Clever yes, well paid (I wish!), geek cheek... possibly... but butch, rugged, manly... it just isn't happening.


Right, I'm going to go and spit on something.

No comments: